Our History

New Hope United Methodist Church was organized in 1795 by Reverend Nathan Boyd and is one of the oldest Methodist churches in central South Carolina. The present building was erected in 1901 or 1902. The church's first meeting place was near Billy Lake's spring under a large pine tree. The first building was a small cabin on a site about two miles from the present location. The group later moved to the present site and built a frame church in 1831. In 1799 or 1800, Salem Methodist Church was organized near the home of Earl Graham on Second Creek. Salem and New Hope merged in 1835. There is uncertainty about the disposition of the 1831 church building when the present church was built in 1901 or 1902. During its two hundred years, New Hope has been affiliated with various circuits and churches. At present, we are part of the Pomaria Charge which consists of New Hope and Capers Chapel United Methodist Churches. 

The church's industrious and generous congregation has enabled the church to grow both spiritually and materially. The first main church renovations were accomplished in 1953 when the church entry was changed, placing double doors in the center of the inside wall of the vestibule and enlarging the area on either side of the vestibule to form two classrooms. The balcony was also made into two classrooms at that time and sheet rock and Celotex were installed. The church was underpinned in 1957 and present sign was built in 1958. Oak floors were installed in 1959 and carpet was installed in the aisles and altar areas. New pews were donated in 1961.

Another goal was accomplished in 1963 when the Educational Building was completed and furnished. The first Hammond Organ was also donated in 1963. This organ was replaced by a larger Rogers Organ in 1992. A well was completed on the church property in 1965 and frosted glass windows were replaced in the church in 1966. These were replaced in 1993 by beautiful stained glass windows. The church was air conditioned in 1976 with renovations to the system in 1987.

Complete renovations of the interior of the church were accomplished in 1982. All wall coverings and floor coverings were removed and replaced with the addition of beautiful stained wooden beams in the ceiling. New lights, wiring, and carpet were also installed. In 1984, aluminum siding was placed on the church exterior. Almost immediately, on March 28, 1994, a tornado destroyed the tallest steeple and damaged the new siding. By December, everything was once again restored. In 1987, the church ramp for handicapped worshippers and a side door were added. Again, in 1990, our church's taller steeple was toppled by high winds, but was quickly restored to its original appearance. Pew cushions were installed in 1993 and central air conditioning was installed in the Educational Building in 1994. An eternal flame was purchased through donations from the congregation and installed to enhance the beauty of the sanctuary in 1995.
 
The church ramp was enclosed and connected the church to the Educational Building in 1997. The Educational Building was renovated during 1998. These renovations included a larger kitchen, a choir room and a new Sunday school room. New heating and air conditioning units were installed in the church in the year 2000. Also in 2000, new shingles were put on the church and educational building. New white paramounts were purchased by the United Methodist Women and given in memory of Mrs. Tillie Crooks.

During the many years of our church, many donations of worship aids have been donated by families in memory of loved ones. The various organizations of the church have worked tirelessly to accomplish many of the goals of the church. We salute the memories of our loved ones whose strength and devotion have left us a legacy of love and work along with a commission to continue what they began.